January 6, 2009

Inspired Autos #1 1960 Fiat Multipla




One of my favorite part of artistic projects is the research involved. When in grad school this always meant trips to the library, but I navigate El InterWeb a little more efficiently these days, so I rarely have to venture further than Google images in order to find what I need. But always, during these little ventures, I find more than I bargain for.



Example: During a search for unique, deco-inspired vans, I found the 1960 Fiat 600 Multipla. I've never been a fan of vans or campers before, but I found myself immediately smitten. Extensively designed and re-designed by Fiat after WWII, they built it with a need for a car that could fit a family, use a minimum of sheet metal, and be cheap to build and buy. It went on to be a massively popular model (in Europe), selling into the millions. I doubt I'd ever laid eyes on it before, but Ms. Multipla (meaning "All Service") will definitely find a way into some project of mine, sooner or later.

No comments: